Friday, December 21, 2007

The Color of Music

Have you ever heard someone’s voice, saw their name written down or seen their wardrobe and assumed they were a certain race? If yes, (and be honest with yourself) have you ever been wrong?

I have been wrong before. I admit it, the first time I heard Robin Thicke’s “Lost Without You,” I presumed that the song’s soulfulness came from a black person’s voice. You can call me a racist, but hey, I am trying to be transparent here. You should try it too.

Anyway, I heard the song on the radio first, so I was thinking this brother can sing. Then I saw the video and I was like oh okay, that’s what’s up.

I didn’t really feel bad that I was wrong. I just brushed it off. But, it did teach me a lesson-- I shouldn’t be so assuming.

There is a country singer that climbing the charts in the biggest music category in the nation. She is young; she has spunk and the natural hallmarks of a quality country singer.

Many in the majority white country music radio audience might not have known that this singer is black. But they probably do know that Rissi Palmer’s “Country Girl” is a hit in the genre. The video was nominated to be a Top 50 Video of 2007 on Great American Country.

I wonder if some country music fans had a double take when they first saw that “Country Girl” video (just like I did when I saw “Lost Without You”). If so, I think that is okay—there are some natural unconscious stereotypes that we all have. But it is when we pretend we don’t form those prejudicial opinions at times that we are actually fostering racism.

Just think— if you make an assumption and you are proven wrong your mindset changes. Or it should anyway. You will probably think twice before you assume again. Talented, crossover artists like Thicke and Palmer break down our racial barriers. Through our ears they open our eyes.


Majority Mind Questions
When have you made an assumption and been wrong regarding someone’s race? What did you learn from it and how has your perspective changed or remained the same?

No comments: